Ordering the abortion pill after a telehealth appointment with a doctor may not be the perfect solution you were hoping for your unplanned pregnancy. Although it may seem discreet and convenient, this option does come with risks that are often underrepresented.
Read this article to learn more about how the abortion pill works and its risks so you can decide if it’s still the best option.
What Is The Risk Of Ordering The Abortion Pill Online?
The most obvious risk of the abortion pill is that it skips several essential steps that can be crucial to protecting your health. The first is that it’s wise to take a pregnancy test to verify the pregnancy, rather than just experiencing a late period.
The most crucial step is that if you are using an abortion pill prescription after a telehealth appointment, there is no way for them to conduct an ultrasound. An ultrasound can verify the pregnancy’s age and viability (this is important since up to 20% of known pregnancies end in natural miscarriage).
An ultrasound will also verify if you have an ectopic pregnancy or not. If you do, this will disqualify you from a medication abortion, and you should seek immediate medical help.
You May Not Qualify For The Abortion Pill
According to the Mayo Clinic, some of these conditions may eliminate your ability to use the abortion pill:
- Your pregnancy is too far along
- You have an intrauterine device (IUD)
- You have an ectopic pregnancy (pregnancy is located outside the uterus)
- You are taking certain medical conditions, such as bleeding disorders, particular heart or blood vessel diseases, uncontrolled seizures, etc.
- Take a blood thinner or certain steroid medications
- Can’t make follow-up visits to your doctor
The Abortion Pill Comes With Risks
The Mayo Clinic lists the following risks of a medical abortion:
- An ongoing unwanted pregnancy if the procedure doesn’t work
- Heavy and prolonged bleeding
- Digestive system discomfort
- A surgical abortion, which would require surgical intervention
Your health matters more than convenience, so make sure you take steps to schedule an ultrasound before you decide if a medication abortion is the best choice for you. Our center offers no-cost ultrasounds and a confidential, pressure-free environment for you to learn about the pregnancy process and what options are available to you.
Contact us today to schedule your appointment!